Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why doesn't my computers ethernet port allow my broadband modem to connect to it.?

Ok so there seems to be something wrong with my computers ethernet port. I have tried 3 different modems and several different ethernet cords. I can currently use the internet via the usb port but i need to get the ethernet port going. The man from time warner said that it is not a problem with the modem but that there is some type of program overriding the ethernet port. Where can i find out what is overriding the ethernet port? When i connect it to the modem it tries to issue an ip address and then a few secs later it says a network cable is unplugged.



Why doesn't my computers ethernet port allow my broadband modem to connect to it.?suzuki



It's one of these 3:



Bad Driver



Failed (failing) NIC



Bad cable.



If it's a driver problem, should be easy to find the manufacturer's site and get the updates. A failed NIC is a little harder as this has you buying a new one (for about $5) and opening the comptuer and installing it. The cable really could be the problem here. Make sure you're not trying to use a crossover cable. Yes there are testers you can buy that will tell you for sure, but you already own the BEST testing set on the market. Your eyes. Have a look at the individual wires on each end. Flip them over so the little retention clip is facing down. Now, you'll see 8 tiny wires and they're color coded, blue/blue white, orange/orange white, green/green white, brown/brown white. IF you're using a straight cable, the wires will be the same on each end. IF you're using a crossover cable, pins 1,2,4,6 will be switched. See my example below. Good luck. Feel free to E-mail me through Yahoo answers if you need more help.

No comments:

Post a Comment