Monday, October 19, 2009

What can I salvage from my old computers?

I have accumulated several old computers (pre XP) over the years and have access to several more if needed. They will probably be sent to the dump eventually, but wondered if there are any parts worth salvaging that may be of use on future computers that I may purchase, repair or build. Otherwise is there any silver etc worth extracting



What can I salvage from my old computers?anti virus protection



I think jb90123 gave you the same answer I would. Power supply's are a maybe, because they are usually 100-300 watt units that would not work in a modern system. Also, the CPU's are almost worthless if they are 500 mhz or less. And cases from old computers are usually not compatible for modern motherboard port layout. Plus they tend to be heavy cases and are usually full of dust.



What can I salvage from my old computers?antivirus



well it all depends if you plan on building a small computer for a kid or something those peices would be helpful. but if building a high powered computer they might be out of date
OF course there are many things on an computer that may be savage basically the whole computer can mixed and spread to other computers.



Like I had an old hard drive which I thought didn't work anymore, but I put it into another computer did an new installation boom another good computer, the RAM and the CPU Intel/AMD still work it doesn't hurt to take some Fans and Power Supply.



I don't think I would take the Motherboard for some reasons eatheir short circuited or the battery on it has died or to much dust has over heated it and died.



All in all this is things typically you can get from an computer junkie:



~RAM



~CPU Intel/AMD



~Fan/ CPU heat sink



~Fan



~Power supply



~CD/DVD player



~Computer case

No comments:

Post a Comment