Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why can't I see my other computers on my network?

I have 2 computers running windows xp, and a printer wired into my wireless router I have a laptop running windows vista I can connect to the internet and the printer, but can't see my other computers



Why can't I see my other computers on my network?spyware



check if your workgroup is same and see that computer browser service is running on your computer.



Why can't I see my other computers on my network?virus scan



basically, if you properly installed and configure your units, you won't have trouble about your networks. why try checking your firewall or try to share something to your computers. it would be better if you declare something to share to your computer. and these will determined by the computers. especially when you are using XP.
With windows XP PCs should see each other even when the workgroup names are different. Can the other two machine see each other? This looks like a firewall issue. Try disabling the firewall on the machines for a brief time and checking to see if the all the PCs can see each other. I would suggest that you disconnect the router from the internet before you disable the firewall(s) to prevent security problems. You can do this by pulling out the lead connecting the router to the telephone socket. This will not stop your network from working. To see a resource (drives and folders) of other PC's this needs to be shared first. To do this do a right click, (or as my friend Jabba says do a wrong click :) then select sharing and security , click the share this folder radio button and click OK. You probably need to wait a little while windows Vista discovers this newly shared resource. Let me know how you get on with this.
Yer Jameer probably right check that your on the same work group. also if you have manually assigned the ip address check that the first three sets of number are the same and the the last set diffrent i.e 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.4
I am having the same problem. So far I have discovered that running the Windows Network wizard is incompatibel with my BT Home Hub. Network wizard sets the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) but I have to disable it. The Windows Help file take me to Network Connections but thereafter the instructions don't match what I see. No checkboxes match the instructions for the properties window.
Configure the designated Master Browse Server computer as the preferred Master Browse Server.



Launch the REGEDIT utility by clicking Start\Run\Regedit.exe.



Set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControl... \MaintainServerList registry setting to Yes.



For all the other computers on the network, configure them to be ineligible to become a browse server.



Launch the REGEDIT utility by clicking Start\Run\Regedit.exe.



Set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControl... \MaintainServerList registry setting to No.

No comments:

Post a Comment