Sunday, September 20, 2009

Help on connecting 2 computers using an ethernet crossover cable?

Here's my setup:



Compaq PC in the basement with an ethernet card and a USB wireless adapter that connects to the internet through our Linksys WCG200 wireless cable gateway.



HP PC in the living room with an ethernet card and a USB wireless adapter that also connects to the internet through the gateway.



Both running Windows XP Home SP2.



I bought a CAT5e (which should be backwards-compatible with regular CAT5, correct?) crossover cable to network the HP and the Compaq together to share files, but I can't get them to see each other. The HP HAS TO stay connected to the internet through the wireless adapter - there's no other way. I'm willing to give up the wireless connection to the Compaq in the basement if it means I have to share the HP's internet connection with the Compaq over the ethernet cable. My question is, how do I configure the two computers so they see each other with the crossover cable? If there are any internet resources, could you point me to them?



Help on connecting 2 computers using an ethernet crossover cable?spyware removal



Well, if you are connected to a gateway, they will already be networked together through that gateway! A gateway will issue "Local" address to each computer and that is a LOCAL network so you should already be connected! Just enable file and printer sharing and put them on the same workgroup. (use the network wizard) you ARE connected without any additional steps or the cable!

No comments:

Post a Comment