Thursday, November 5, 2009

Can you have two computers hooked up to Yahoo DSL at the same time without getting an IP address con

I have my Yahoo DSL modem hooked up to a HUB and than a Cat 5 line from the HUB to my PC. However, if I hook up a 2nd Cat 5 line from my HUB to my laptop, I get an error that there are conflicting IP Addresses. Is there a way to have both of these computers hooked up to Yahoo DSL at the same time? I would have thought that since they are choosing an IP Address automatically that they would choose different ones, but apparently not.



Can you have two computers hooked up to Yahoo DSL at the same time without getting an IP address conflict?network



Hubs do not manage any of the traffic that comes through them. You need a router. A router would give a different distinct internal IP address to each device that you plug into it.



Can you have two computers hooked up to Yahoo DSL at the same time without getting an IP address conflict?norton



It depends on how many IP addresses were assigned to you by your ISP. If there is only one address assigned for your hosts then you are going to get the conflict you mentioned. To avoid this, purchase a router. They are cheap anymore. Connect the modem to the router and the computers to the router. Make the router a DHCP "server".
I have a wireless setup in the house. We have three computers on it. One laptop and two desk units. As far as I know we have two on the web most of the time with the laptop chiming in from time to time. So far we haven't had any sort of a problem.
I have 4 computers and a printer hooked up to my hub, and have not had a conflict. Have all the computers hooked up to your hub. Shut off the hub and the router then start them again, sometimes they get a brain fart.
The problem is that you're using a hub, when you need to be using a router.



A hub is a simple repeater. A router is a device for connecting networks together.



Use a basic ethernet router instead of a hub and it should work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment