Saturday, June 19, 2010

How to connect dsl to two computers?

I am currently connected to Road Runner using their router which I am charged for monthly. I want to switch to ATT and they supply the modem. Both computers are connected through the router. I am sure I will need to send the router back. Do I need to make note of how it is connected now and do it the same way. I have a modem connected that RR gave me before I had two computers. It still is on, but don't know if it is actually needed since I have a router. Are both a modem and router need to be connected. ATT supplies a modem, but not the router. Is there a web site I can go to for illustration. I know ATT will have instructions, but want to find out the expense of switching over before making the switch. ATT is much cheaper than RR, but if I have to purchase a lot of other connections, it could be more expense just hooking up.



Thanks,



siware5



How to connect dsl to two computers?microsoft



just buy a router and plug in all the cables. It should work with minimal to no configuration



How to connect dsl to two computers?norton ghost



I'm not sure about AT%26T DSL, but when I helped my buddy hook up Quest DSL, the modem they supplied has 4 ports for computers. We were able to hook up a desktop and two laptops right from the modem using Ethernet cables.



A router doesn't supply the signal, it just splits it up. I'd bet that with your current setup you have the modem bringing the DSL into your house and the router splitting it between computers. The Quest DSL modem has the router/splitter built right into the modem itself - if you want to know if AT%26T does too, give them a call.
Yes, you need a modem and a router. The modem gets plugged into the router. It is not hard to set up. You can buy your own router (I personally use D-Link and have had no problems whatsoever in the past 3 years that I've had it) and it gives you instructions how to set everything up. You will need to buy cables to go from each computer to the router, but that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment