Saturday, June 19, 2010

How much memory??computers?

how much memory did computers store in the beginning and now???



How much memory??computers?ktm



As low as 512KB to 4GB which is max for ATX boards now.



John



A+ Certified



How much memory??computers?nortan



i had an old Atari computer back in the 80's that had 48K Ram, My computer now has 2GB (2,000,000 K)...not bad for about 20 years...
in the later half of the 60's I leased time on IBM's biggest mainframe. (before monitors, before keyboard input.)



All information was input through data punch cards and paper tape with holes punched in them. Now remember that this computer and it's tape drives covered an most of a floor of a large office building. This computer was the main computer for running both the Toronto and Chicago stock markets and other very large businesses.



If I remember correctly the main memory was 360 k, my camera has more memory. Before the mainframe I was referring to IBM had another smaller mainframe that I leased time on and I believe it was called the IBM 1150 much smaller, about the size of mini van but not as wide. Don't remember the memory it had but it was very slow compaired to the IBM 360/65 I described above.



Back in his early Bill Gates said in an interview that he couldn't imagine anyone but business enterprises requiring or wanting more the 360k in their computers and the top dog of IBM I believe in the late 50's or early 60's making a remark to the press the there was no way that ordinary people would ever need their own computers. Before the mid 60's my memory about computers is very sketchy but suffice it to say that the memory of the earlier systems like IBM, Univac and others were in the single digits. BTW, thanks for making me feel old.
computers don't store memory......store memories.



How much memory just depends what you do. and computers? Yes go and learn just Little bit more computer memories and store it in your memory.



16k...........before now 1 TERABYTE and more........depends what you do

No comments:

Post a Comment